Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mom! Where’s my bathing suit?

That’s the question I always get the minute we step foot inside our vacation accommodations. For an organized person traveling with children can be more than stressful. From remembering to pack for everyone to keeping your hotel room neat and organized there seems to be quite a few challenges. With Spring break soon ahead many are planning family vacations. Whether you are driving or flying, packing is always an issue especially if you have children. Having everything you will need on a trip and maximizing your packing space are opposing forces!

I love to travel. I don’t love living out of a suitcase. It seems no matter how hard you try it always ends up a mess by the end of the trip. I am guilty of packing too much. So trying to cram all the things I think I will need into a suitcase that never seems big enough, has always been a challenge.

My favorite packing tool by far is the zip lock bag. I use them in every size from snack bags to 2.5 gallon size. Using plastic bags helps me to be able to pack more in less space and keeps the suitcases organized.

For my own things I use mostly 2.5 gallon bags. In each bag I put an entire outfit, if it is bulky, for smaller items I will group them together in bags. For example I put my workout clothes, sports bras, shorts and tanks in one bag. I use another for underclothes and socks. The smaller bags are for accessories. After dropping in the jewelry, belt, scarf etc. that I will need for an outfit, I seal the bag and put it inside the larger bag with the outfit. Take the guess work out of getting dressed by always writing the contents of the bag on the outside with a sharpie. These bags are also great for shoes. You can see what pair is inside and keep the dirt off of everything else in the bag.

For kids this system works especially well. For small children you may only need one gallon bags for each outfit. Put everything from socks to hats to hair bows needed for each outfit in one bag. Then simply pull out that bag and you will have everything you need to dress your baby for that day. Dirty clothes can be put right back into the bag at the end of the day. Older kids can dress themselves using this system. Write the day of the week on the outside of the bag and then have the child take out that bag and get dressed.

After you fill each bag press all the air out before sealing. Then stand the bags up on the end and put them one behind the other in the order you will be using them. Laying them on top of each other only causes them to slide around. When you arrive home simply take the bags with dirty clothes and empty them into the laundry. Store the bags inside the suitcase for your next trip.

Try this out next time you travel and let me know how it works! Hopefully you will have more time to enjoy your vacation because your suitcase will be so organized!
Happy Organized Travels!
Valerie
*If you like this tip you may also like these eBags Value Set: Packing Cubes + Slim Packing Cubes'/a>:

No comments:

Post a Comment